Monday, September 01, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Assistant Principal Accused Of Making Sexually Charged Remarks To Students

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Assistant Principal Accused Of Making Sexually Charged Remarks To Students
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

An assistant principal at a Brooklyn High School is facing allegations he made sexual advances on several female students. NY1's Polly Kreisman filed the following report.

William Abreu was an assistant principal at Progress High School for Professional Careers. But an investigation reveals he spoke to three 15-year-old girls at separate times, mostly in Spanish, about jobs that did not exist, asking one girl to perform oral sex on him and asking the others different sexually inappropriate questions.

Special Investigations Commissioner Richard Condon called them "some of the worst comments that I've seen in cases."

"The three girls go up there," he said. "The first girl goes in, he starts a conversation, 'I'm gonna ask you some personal questions.' He starts to ask them some very inappropriate questions about their sex life and about what they would be willing to be doing sexually with him."

Students outside the Grand Street High School's campus were shocked, even defending Abreu.

"He doesn't even seem like he put his personal life in school or anything," said one female student. "He does his job and that's it."

"I don't think that he would do that or make a comment like that to any girl," said another female student. "I can't imagine that. I really can't."

The commissioner also found that Arelis Candelario, an aide in the school cafeteria, approached the three girls, solicited them to apply for the jobs with Abreu and lied to investigators about her involvement.

One of the girls told her church counselor, who works for the Department of Education, what happened and touched off an investigation that began in June of last year.

"If it's true, I think that's disgusting," said one male student. "I can't imagine teachers saying sexual comments to students. It's not good."

Condon has recommended that Abreu and Candelario be terminated and never again be permitted to work in the NYC Department of Education. He's also referred the case to the Brooklyn District Attorney.

10.11.12.245 ClientIP: 54.196.252.72, 23.62.7.55 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP