Residents of a Bronx building that was damaged by a fire this past summer may have to cook their Thanksgiving dinner on hot plates as they continue to wait for repairs to be made.
Tenants of 2285 Sedgwick Avenue say they have been without cooking gas for months.
They say the trouble started after a fire broke out in the University Heights building back in July.
Residents only recently had their heat and hot water restored.
"It's like living in a cave. And this New York, it's supposed to be the best city in the world. Well, cold showers will change your opinion very quickly," said one resident.
"Since there's no gas we got to buy food from outside. It's coming to a stage that we not able to be able to pay for food," said another resident.
The building also went into foreclosure and there's no insurance on it. Tenants say they were told it could be four to six months before the gas in their stoves comes back.
“No Thanksgiving, Christmas, I don’t know how that’s going to happen,” said tenant Katherine Hernendez.
NY1 was unable to locate the owner for comment, but the Department of Housing Preservation and Development told NY1 Wednesday that the owner is working to restore gas service and that the agency will continue to monitor the situation to make sure work is done.
On Wednesday, Senator Pedro Espada Jr. is giving all 52 tenants a free Thanksgiving meal at a nearby restaurant.
A source from the management company that runs the building says it will also provide a free Thanksgiving meal to all tenants. Distribution will begin tomorrow at 10:30 a.m.