A judge heard bail arguments Monday for four men accused of plotting to blow up two Bronx synagogues last year.
David Williams, Onta Williams, James Cromitie and LaGuerre Payen appeared in White Plains federal court for the bail hearing. There was no immediate decision.
The federal judge said she would release a written statement on her decision.
The men are accused in a plot to blow up two Riverdale synagogues and shoot down military planes.
They have pleaded not guilty, claiming they were entrapped by an FBI informant who supplied fake explosives and a fake anti-aircraft missile. The informant offered the men a BMW and more than $250,000 in cash.
Jury selection was supposed to begin last week, but the judge put the case on hold when she said prosecutors withheld key documents from the defense.
Protestors gathered outside the federal court in White Plains Monday morning calling on the judge to set the men free. Friends and relatives say there's not enough evidence to hold them in jail.
"If they have no pre-disposition to do harm but for the government involvement in this entire scheme, then quite clearly if they weren't a danger to the community prior to the government's involvement in the entire crime, they're not a danger now," argued Onta Williams' attorney Susanne Brody.
"They're now sitting in jail for nine months when they should've been, the government should've been preparing for trial,” said Sam Braverman, Payen’s attorney. “So the question is, if it's going to take nine more months to have a trial, should these guys just be sitting in jail for nine more months when the government starts doing its job?"
The four men are scheduled to be back in court Thursday.
They have been jailed since their arrest in May 2009.