Thursday, July 31, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Bronx Assistant Principal Arraigned On Charges Of Forcibly Touching Two Girls

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Bronx Assistant Principal Arraigned On Charges Of Forcibly Touching Two Girls
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

An assistant principal in the Bronx was arraigned Tuesday on charges od sex abuse and acting in a manner injurious to a child.

The Department of Education says Joseph Ponzo, 59, turned himself in to the authorities amid allegations he forcibly touched last week two girls, ages 10 and 11.

Sources say the alleged incidents took place in P.S. 106 in Parkchester.

A DOE spokeswoman says Ponzo made more than $117,000 a year and started working at P.S. 106 in 2008.

Prior to that, he was an assistant principal at another school and worked as an elementary school teacher.

Ponzo is the ninth DOE employee arrested and charged with sex crimes involving students since February. He is the first charged administrator, as the previous cases involved teachers, aides and paraprofessionals.

"I think it's horrible. I mean, it's not his job. It's not his place to put his hands on any kid under any circumstance," said a parent of a P.S. 106 student.

"I just don't believe what's going on. I don't believe it. I've heard of other schools, but my son attends this school. I don't know what to believe," said another parent.

"I have a daughter in this school, and to hear this kind of news really upsets me. For the safety of these kids, wow. I'd go crazy if something happened to my kid over here," said a third.

The DOE says Ponzo has been reassigned pending the outcome of the police investigation.

Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott has been very outspoken about the string of sexual abuse incidents, visiting many of the schools after the arrests and pledging to pull anyone accused of inappropriate behavior out of the classroom immediately.

The chancellor said he personally reviewed previous allegations against 250 employees, leading him to remove eight additional educators based on old charges.

10.11.12.248 ClientIP: 54.83.228.89, 23.62.6.53, 10.48.37.110 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP