Monday, December 22, 2014

Follow us:
Follow @NY1 on Twitter Follow NY1 News on Facebook Follow NY1 News on Google+ Subscribe to this news feed 


Two People Wrongly Convicted Of 1995 Livery Cab Murder Released

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Two People Wrongly Convicted Of 1995 Livery Cab Murder Released
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

A man and a woman who were wrongfully put behind bars for 17 years for a murder in the Bronx are now free. NY1's Courtney Gross filed the following report.

On Wednesday, Eric Glisson took his first steps as a free man in 17 years.

After serving 17 years behind bars for a murder both Glisson and fellow defendant Cathy Watkins didn't commit, a judge threw away their convictions.

"Based upon the nature and content of the information that was given to us by the U.S. Attorney's Office, we have made the decision to take this unprecedented, as you know, judge, and exceptional step," said Nicole Keary of the Bronx District Attorney's Office.

Eight hours later, they stepped out of the Bronx Criminal Courthouse to family, friends and fresh air.

"This is one of the most major, pivotal points in my life," Glisson said.

"I'm feeling happy that I'm here with my family now," Watkins said. "But it's a bittersweet moment because I'm not totally free, this is not over yet."

As part of their release, they have to wear electronic monitoring bracelets and they have to stay in the area of New York City.

The Bronx District Attorney's Office has 90 days to investigate the new evidence in the case.

"It's demeaning," Glisson said. "When they put it on, I explained that to them, you know. Putting this on me, even though you know I'm innocent, just exacerbates my misery.

Glisson was accused of murdering a livery driver in the Bronx in 1995. During his time in prison, he always said he was innocent. Now, evidence has emerged that it was actually two gang members in the Bronx that committed the crime.

While the wait was long, it is not something Glisson is harping on.

"I got a new sense of life now, a new purpose," he said. "With this opportunity, I gotta make the best of it."

From here, Glisson said he is going to spend time with his 17-year-old daughter. He also starts classes at Mercy College next week. ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP